Many factors can dull your smile over time, but one of the most common causes of dark teeth is the drinks you consume on a daily basis. Our team at Barry E. Malkiel, DDS wants you to be proud of your smile, which is why we’ve provided a list of the five worst drinks for white teeth.
– Soda has a high sugar and acid content that softens the enamel (the hard, protective layer over your crowns), leaving it vulnerable to erosion. When enamel fades, the darker dentin shows through, making teeth look yellower.
– Alcohol creates an acidic environment, which softens your enamel and causes cavities. Red wines also leave heavy stains on your teeth over time.
– Coffee contains intense color pigmentation known as chromogens, which attach to the surface of your teeth and stain them yellow. Depending on your preference, your coffee may also contain high levels of sugar.
– Tea made up of dark blends can stain your mouth even more than coffee due to the high level of tannin (a bitter organic substance found in bark and other plant tissue). Green and herbal teas are less likely to stain.
– Sports drinks replenish electrolytes and are a preferable beverage to water after a hard workout, but they contain high acid levels that endanger the enamel. In fact, sports drinks are even worse than soda.
Barry E. Malkiel, DDS offers in-office teeth whitening to lighten your smile up to eight shades. Patients over the age of 18 who maintain their six month checkups and cleanings can receive whitening treatment free of charge (minor restrictions apply).
If you’re in need of teeth whitening treatment in Lawrenceville, Georgia, contact Barry E. Malkiel, DDS. Dr. Barry Malkiel is more than happy to help you achieve a beautiful white smile that you’re proud to show.